Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Trip to the Orchard

Another weekend has come and gone, and boy was this past one beautiful! The weather was cool and crisp. The sky was an amazing shade of blue, and the leaves were ablaze in color. It really was a perfect fall weekend.

Since I'm in the Primary Presidency at church, I got roped into helping out with the activity day for the quarter. It was a trip to the orchard. It was actually more than just an orchard...it was an exciting adventure. It started out with about 25 kids all in this little park area of the orchard. There was a cute little lesson on planting the right seeds to make your faith grow. For everything the kids did (read scriptures, pray, attend church) they got to put a seed in this little flower pot they were each given. Then they went and got to take pony rides, and feed the petting zoo animals (mostly goats and sheep), and then they took a little hay ride around the park. Finally we got everyone together and walked acrossed the drive to to the apple picking part of this orchard. It was the first weekend in October and there were only a handful of apples left on the trees! Luckily, most of the kids were pretty small, so they were OK with picking apples up off the ground. After they each picked their apples, we went back to wrap up the event, and while they were gone, the teacher had put grown pansy plants in each of the kids' flower pots to show how our testimony grows like the flowers. The looks of amazement on those little kids' faces when there were big plants in their little pots after only a couple hours really cracked me up. There's nothing like pulling a fast one on a child I always say. HA!

Anyway, the rest of my weekend was spent enjoying the weather, organizing myself, and enjoying life in general. It really was a great and relaxing weekend. I am in town ALL week this week, which is the first time in a couple months, and I'm really looking forward to spending some time locally...especially so that I can enjoy the beautiful drive to and from work. This really is the best season up here.

No comments: